The Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA) Health Affairs Scholarship provides assistance to a GAPNA member who wish to attend the annual American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Health Policy Summit.
The recipient of the Health Affairs Scholarship will receive an award up to $1,500.00 to be used for registration fees, travel, lodging, and other summit-related costs.
2024 AANP Health Policy Conference
January 28, 2024 – January 30, 2024
Washington, District of Columbia
Earn approximately 16.5 contact hours (CH) of continuing education (CE) credit, pending approval by AANP.
The GAPNA Health Affairs Scholarship is awarded to a GAPNA member who has:
- Demonstrated sustained membership and active participation in GAPNA at the local, state, and/or national level.
- Demonstrated current engagement in health policy.
- Developed plans and a vision for future engagement with health policy that will be advanced by attending the AANP Health Policy Conference.
The most competitive applicants have progressed beyond interest in health policy and have begun actively engaging with health policy at the local, state, and/or national level to improve the health of older adults, healthcare delivery and/or APRN Scope of Practice.
Terms of Acceptance of the GAPNA Heath Affairs Scholarship:
- The recipient agrees to commit to participate actively on the GAPNA Health Affairs Committee for the next two years and to participate in the planning of the Health Affairs Committee activities at the GAPNA Annual Conference.
- The recipient will submit an article on the AANP Health Policy Summit for the next issue of the GAPNA Newsletter.
- The recipient agrees to attend the annual conference the year they are a scholarship winner.
Application Examples and Guides:
Examples of participating at a local, state, or national GAPNA Event include:
- Attending a GAPNA-sponsored conference.
- Volunteering to write a note or visit with a state or federal legislator.
- Reviewing or commenting on a policy for CMS.
- Developing a policy to be implemented locally or nationally.
- Authoring for the GAPNA newsletter or Geriatric Nursing.
- Serving as a member or chair on a committee or SIG.
- Presenting at a local, state, or national conference (poster or podium).
- GAPNA Excellence Award winner.
- Serving on the Board of Directors or as an officer at the local, state, or national level.
- Developing a local GAPNA chapter.
- Assisting in developing a GAPNA conference or educational offering.
Examples of health policy-related activities include:
- Writing, contacting or meeting with a legislator, regulatory agency, or their staff.
- Developing, reviewing, or contributing to a proposed policy.
- Authoring of a white paper or position paper.
- Serving as a member or leader with a coalition, roundtable, or similar group of advocates.
Open to GAPNA members only.