The Education- and Toolkit Committees of GAPNA launched their “Gerontology Resources for APRN Preceptors and Students,” toolkit.
The goal of this Gerontology Resources for APRN Preceptors and Students toolkit is to make geriatric and gerontological content accessible to those caring for older adults. It is designed with advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) students, preceptors, and educators in mind, and it provides a single portal to comprehensive resources.
The toolkit is organized by primary care topics and includes links to websites and mobile device apps in the public domain. The toolkit was developed by a group of gerontological APRNs to provide an open access practice resource for integration of geriatric knowledge for APRN clinical education, with the goal of improving the quality of health care provided to older adults.
The toolkit has two (2) sections which covers the following:
1. Gerontological Resources for Healthcare Management
- Gerontological and Geriatric Assessment
- Specialty Assessments
- Mental Health
- Cognitive Assessment
- Dementia Assessment and Management
- Gerontological Pharmacology
- End-of-Life Issues
- Nursing Home Issues
- Role Issues
- Legal Issues
2. Preceptor Resources
- Preceptor Resources
- Preceptor Preparation for Role
- Suggested Teaching Guidelines for Preceptors
- Suggested Readings for Clinical Preceptors
- Mobile Device Applications
- National Standards for Nurse Practitioner Competencies
- Suggested Student Geriatric Clinical Sites
Download your copy of the Gerontology Resources for APRN Preceptors and Students toolkit now!
Note: For optimal viewing, please save the file (.pdf) first to your computer, then open it in the Adobe Reader. Adobe Acrobat files are designed to open in any browser on any computer regardless of brand or operating system. View more about the Adobe Reader.
Please see the GAPNA Resources section for more clinical references relevant to older adult health care.