Opioid misuse in older adults is an underappreciated and growing problem. Among patients aged 65 and older, the number of opioid-related emergency department visits doubled from 18,100 in 2010 to 36,200 visits in 2015.
By 2030, about one in five Americans will be older than 65. As they age and life expectancy increases, the number of individuals with chronic health conditions, and demand for health professionals to care for them, will grow.
Chronic disease is the most costly health care problem in America today, with heart failure leading the pack. With penalties for patient readmissions looming, facilities are seeking solutions. One answer? Programs led by nurse practitioners (NPs).
More patients are getting the right treatment at the right time for their health conditions, but progress remains modest for patients with chronic diseases such as diabetes and asthma, according to Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s (AHRQ) recently released Chartbook on Effective Treatment.
A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study of adults aged 18 years or older reported multiple chronic conditions were associated with poorer outcomes for important life domains (social participation restriction, serious psychological distress, and work disability).
Half of the U.S. population accounted for more than 97% of total health care expenses in 2012, while the other half of the population accounted for the remaining 3%, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
A new research review from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s Effective Health Care Program found that while the evidence on the effectiveness and harms of opioid therapy for chronic pain treatment is limited, there is an increased risk of serious harms based on the opioid dose given...
Patients who moved from no drug coverage to Medicare Part D drug coverage increased their use of medications deemed Drugs to Avoid in the Elderly (DAE) from 15.72% to 17.61%. However, the proportion of DAE in overall drug use declined slightly...