Dementia Care Summit Research Recommendations Released
The National Advisory Council on Alzheimer’s Research, Care, and Services issued a final report recently from the first National Research Summit on Care, Services, and Supports for Persons with Dementia and Their Caregivers.
The summit, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and private sector organizations, was in October 2017 at the National Institutes of Health to develop national recommendations for research priorities on care and services for persons with dementia and their families.
A total of 58 main research recommendations resulted from nearly 700 recommendations submitted by summit participants. These recommendations will inform stakeholders from a broad range of agencies, organizations, and individuals from the public and private sectors and will help set the agenda for the next summit in March 2020.
The research recommendations are organized into 12 major themes:
- Heterogeneity of Persons Living with Dementia and their Caregivers
- Research Methods to Develop More Effective Dementia Care, Services, and Supports
- Caregiver Relationships, Roles, and Networks
- Clinical Approaches and the Lived Experience of Dementia
- Engaging Persons Living with Dementia and Caregivers in Research
- Dementia-Related Terminology, Nomenclature, and Stigma: Words Matter
- Comprehensive Models for Dementia Care, Services, and Supports
- Strategies for Scaling and Disseminating Existing Evidence, Drawing Upon Implementation Science
- Living Places, Physical and Social Environments, and Processes of Care for Persons with Dementia, Including Those Who Live Alone
- Financial Burden and Out-of-Pocket Costs to Persons Living with Dementia and their Caregivers
- Ensuring an Adequate and Qualified Workforce to Support Persons with Dementia and their Caregivers
- Technology to Support Persons with Dementia and their Caregivers
Plan your trip to the nation’s capital during the GAPNA Annual Conference, September 26-29, 2018 by checking out all the things to do, places to eat, and ways to have fun.
Find out about it!